October is almost here and we can’t wait for the spooky month to begin. In addition to decorating your house with spider webs and carving a jack-o-lantern, add binging monster movies to your list of things to do next month. Grab some popcorn, a few sodas, and a movie-watching buddy, then dive into the ultimate list of monster movies curated by Paste Magazine.
What Counts As A Monster Movie Anyway?
Ghost, ghouls, zombies, and insane red-headed dolls are all staples of the horror movie genre, but none of them count as monster movies. No, a monster movie needs something otherworldly and inhuman. In addition, it needs to make you cover your eyes, clutch your neighbor’s arm, or jump so hard that your popcorn spills everywhere. So suspend your desire to be distinguished and classy, and prepare to be scared senseless. Let’s dive in.
Classic Monster Movies You Should Watch
- Prophecy – No question, this is a bizarre movie, but the monster is priceless. A mutated bear created by chemical waste terrorizes a factory town in the late 1970s.
- It Came From Beneath The Sea – This is a classic monster trope that takes something natural — an octopus — and turns it into a monster by making it ginormous.
- Creature From The Black Lagoon – This is a cult classic with a creepy yet graceful underwater monster that you’ll find yourself scared of but rooting for by the end of the film.
- The Mist – A monster-filled mist surrounds a group of strangers in a grocery store trapping them inside. If you’re a fan of Stranger Things, some of the monsters in this movie will remind you of the Mind Flayer.
You might also like: Safety Is The Priority With The Acadia
Modern Monster Movies To Add To Your List
- Cloverfield – This movie takes your imagination on a wild ride showing you bits of the monster terrorizing New York City and letting your imagination fill in the rest.
- King Kong – A retelling of the classic story that places the monster as the central protagonist but maintains his terrifying might.
- Pan’s Labyrinth – This is dark Spanish fable follows the misadventures of a young girl as she takes on otherworldly monsters in an attempt to save her mother’s life.
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.